Saturday 19 October 2013

Five-minute Friday - Laundry

  

Today I'm joining up with a writing group over at Lisa- Jo Baker's called Five-Minute Friday where the idea is to write for five minutes flat on a prompt posted on her blog.
 Five Minute Friday 

It’s time to silence the inner critic.
It’s time to hush the voice that whines on and on about how you’re no good.
It’s time to cram out the distractions and excuses and take pen to paper, keyboard to screen and write.

This week’s prompt is “Laundry.”

Start

Today I should be doing laundry. I should be feeding the ravenous metal monster that is never satisfied. I should be controlling that mutating, growing pile in the corner. I should also be cleaning the dishes that have accumulated in my much less than immaculate kitchen. I should have been doing 101 other things that will still be there tomorrow whether I do them today or not.


Instead I am counting my blessings. Instead of becoming cross and resentful of my husband's well-deserved sleep-in, I am putting on some Saturday morning television to *try* to keep the girls quiet enough without my constant nagging. 

Instead of thinking it's all just too hard, today I am putting in the effort and scrubbing, bathing, dressing, and bustling everyone out the door to the playground.

Instead of doing laundry, I am sitting in the sunshine, writing, and watching two girls gain independence and problem solving skills, courage and chivalry. Attempting to make the swings go by themselves, pushing each other, working as a team on the seesaw. Instead I am resisting the urge to run and dust them off when they slip and fall. Instead I am relishing the moment when they run to aid their sister instead.  



And despite all of this, a little voice in my head keeps telling me I should be doing laundry.


Stop



5 comments:

  1. The little voice in your head is WRONG. You are doing just what you need to be doing. The laundry can wait. Playing can't.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, yes. That nasty little voice making us think we should be doing laundry! And i love that yoir girls are learning to be sisters and that you are watching these precious momenta. Instead of feeding the metal monster. :) loved that imagery by the way. :) and nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, Ignore that part of your brain s you have to perform, have to do, must not have mess, must not fail, must feel guilt, must be better than.... Instead look to the art that says, I can watch my girls, and help them grow, share, work together, combine skills, laugh and have fun! Childhood is so short, they need to enjoy it, and so do you. These precious moments will be lost forever otherwise.
    Love to all. jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes that silly voice that tells us we should be doing the "important" stuff like housework, laundry, etc. Good for you for ignoring it and focusing on the BEST stuff - your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't use my metal monster yesterday, I did some outside chores...

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

ShareThis